So thankfully, there was no fly mishap when I made this yellow cake. Living in Colorado has many benefits and the lack of flying, buzzing and crawling pests is certainly one of them. When my niece and nephew returned to Colorado Springs after living in Boston for the past year, I asked them what they wanted for dessert. Their answer was simple and brought a smile to my face: a yellow cake with chocolate frosting (children always know best).
And for a quick update...Ryan and I leave for Texas this afternoon. My mom has been transferred to a physical rehabilitation hospital in Colorado Springs, and after a tearful goodbye this morning, she wished us on our way. Your kind words and prayers mean so much to me and my mom (she teared up when I brought in my lap top to show her all of your lovely comments). Thank you for your love and support.
4 large egg yolks
2/3 cup sour cream
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups sifted cake flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
12 TBSP unsalted butter (softened)
1. Grease a 9 inch spring foam pan and line with parchment. Grease and flour again. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a bowl, combine the egg yolks, a quarter of the sour cream and the vanilla. Set aside. In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, stir together the cake flour, the sugar, the baking powder and soda and the salt.
3. Add the softened butter and the remaining sour cream to the dry ingredients and beat for one minute to help develop the structure of the batter. Scrape down the sides and gradually begin to add the egg mixture in two batches, beating well after each addition.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula. Bake in your preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from oven and allow to cool for ten minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely before frosting.
Simple Chocolate Buttercream
1/4 cup butter
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
1. Using your stand mixer, blend together the above ingredients until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency (adding more milk if necessary)