adapted from Baking Bites
2 cups lukewarm water
3.5-4 cups whole wheat flour
2 TBSP vital wheat gluten
1 TBSP active dry yeast
1/4 cup honey
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 TBSP baking soda
1. In a large bowl, combine water, 2 cups flour, wheat gluten and yeast. Stir well, cover, and let sit for 40 minutes. Dough will be very wet and will rise during this time period.
2. Add the honey, salt and the remaining 1.5 cups of flour. Knead by hand or by using a stand mixer and gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup flour until dough becomes elastic (it should be moist but not sticky). Place in a lightly greased bowl and let rise for an additional hour.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1/2 of dough into a 12x9 rectangle. Divide this rectangle into two and then divide each section into 3 strips. Taking one strip at a time, roll the strips out into 24 inch pieces. Make an "X" with the loose ends and press your "X" into the center of the dough rope. You want to make a pretzel shape. Repeat with the remaining strips and the other half of dough.
4. Dip each pretzel into the baking soda and water mixture and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Allow room for the pretzels to rise in the oven. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until pretzels are just golden brown.
5. Feel free to coat with melted butter and salt or cinnamon sugar. We left our pretzels plain.